Friday 5 October 2012

Birmingham Book Festival - Launch Party

Early again as usual I just can't seem to help myself, setting off way before I need to.

Arrived in the old Bird's custard factory in Digbeth, the building has had a facilitate through a jolly colourful lick of paint, lots of retro shops with a splattering of the abnormal some would say. A tree seems to be growing out of the walk at first glance not that it would be totally unheard of in old buildings then you realise that at closer inspection that the sculpture of a person had been made using an old tree and wicker protrudes from it. The reason is the pagan place that lies next door, now longer out of place. It reflects along with other pieces of art dotted around the vibe and culture the custard factory is trying to create. It guides the creative, imaginative and the minority of people from West Midlands area to come to a unique centrepiece.


It you want to find out more about the Custard Factory in its present form, take a look at http://www.custardfactory.co.uk/


The history of the Custard Factory can also be found there also but here is a quick overview:
"This 5-acre sprawl of riverside factories was built 100 years ago by Sir Alfred Bird, the inventor of custard. At one time he had a thousand people making the stuff. Some even say it helped create the British Empire. But by the early 1980s it had long since lost its mysterious appeal and the factories fell derelict."


West Midlands Writing is based on in the old factory walls, the perfect place in my opinion to have a team for what can only be described as an "Alternative Book Festival". You will not find the usual big name authors, poets, publishers or event organisers at The Birmingham Book Festival.
This year the Festival will cover topics ranging from New Libya, where three people from Gaddaffi's Libya have lived through the troubles and want to share their experiences through writing, to Walking the Penine Way with Simon Armitage, no money walking it the unconventional way round and reading poet to make his way home to Yorkshire.
All the events make for good talking points with friends, family, colleagues and fellow event goers.


Want a more in depth look at the programme, check out: www.birminghambookfestival.org/


Looking at the start of the programme, "Dr" Deborah Alma is the Emergency Poet, sat in her 1960s ambulance fully equipped with life saving equipment, a bed and the uniforms to match. This sounds like a weird idea having a doctor in the house at a book festival but it fits as she will reads sonnet to soothe the love troubles, a stanza to sign off the end of lunch or even Nurse Verse will give you some medical attention with the "Write Poem".


Moving onto my involvement and reason for this blog, I am volunteering at the festival and having taken the whole event off work to absorb and enjoy the 10 days as much as possible I have elected to be present at as much as I can.


Whilst mingling with the guests and interested parties at the Launch last night I was asked by a few people, Why have I volunteered? What makes the Birmingham Book Festival stand out? (Already covered that one!) What am I looking to get out of the event?


Why and What am I getting out of it, can be answered simply with I have a personal interest in Literature through writing and reading and it being in my City, why the heck not. I write poetry but only for my own consumption and after years of an overactive imagination, not finishing anything longer than the idea stage I got to the end of my first novel last year so another reason I am here is to pick up the usual tips, hints and guidance to get to the end of another.


Onto the main event after food and drink had been consumed, introductions made etc. Boring bit but had to done. First bit of interesting news was the New Poet Laureate was announced, I would like to congratulate Stephen Morrison-Burke on this fantastic accolade. He performed last night and I was dancing with him as he read his poem, it conjured up imagery and the imagination ran wild as he 'waxed lyrical'.


The launch party was rounded off last night by the silliest, funniest poet I have ever seen. I think the best way to introduce him is the way he was introduced last night with Elvis McGonagall in his own words:


"Stand-up poet, armchair revolutionary and recumbent rocker! Elvis, we are told, is the sole resident of The Graceland Caravan Park somewhere near Dundee, where he scribbles verse whilst drinking malt whisky and listening to Johnny Cash. He is also a former World Slam Champion, compere of the notorious Blue Suede Sporran Club and is one of the poets occasionally in residence on BBC Radio 4’s “Saturday Live”. Oh, and he is very, very funny!"

I don't want to spoil the fantastic act that he was so if I have tickled the taste buds, look him up and see him live or listen to him on his website. http://www.elvismcgonagall.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment